About the Friends
The Friends of the Maryland State Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped was established as a non-profit (501)(c)(3) charitable organization in 1988.
Its primary function is to supplement funding for the Library by providing resources for materials, equipment, training and volunteer assistance. Such support provides a solid foundation to assist the Library in those programs and services that require resources beyond state and federal funding.
The Friends accomplish this by:
- Maintaining a volunteer Friends organization to assist the Library in identifying its needs
- Publicizing the services of the Library
- Encouraging Marylanders to utilize the Library's services
- Coordinating individuals, civic associations, businesses, organizations, institutions and educations groups in providing suggestions and a focus for Library services.
- Providing grant and materials support beyond the state and federal funding for program success.